FAQs about Studying in Canada

Here are some common FAQs about studying in Canada:

How do Canadian universities compare to those in the US?

As someone who has studied in both Canada and the US, I can say the most striking difference between the two is the amount of personalized attention available to students. Top Canadian universities tend to enroll larger amounts of students, and the first few years of classes involve attending lectures with hundreds of other students. In the junior and senior years, class sizes are smaller, but building relationships with professors is entirely in the student’s hands. Academic advisors are also assigned hundreds of students, and on the whole Canadian university administrations are notorious for their red tape. You should be prepared to go the extra mile to find suitable internships, research assistant positions, and academic support.

Like the US, students don’t declare a major until the end of their second year, but unlike the US, high school students must select their top three fields of study upon application, from the arts, to the sciences, to engineering, architecture, education, and social work.

Despite these discrepancies, the typical university experience is very much available in Canada. Large sporting and on-campus events, student clubs and societies, fraternities and sororities, and anything else you might be seeking are readily accessible. Mcgill, U of T, and UBC all boast billion dollar endowments, which are quite apparent in the excellent quality of their professors and facilities.

Can I study abroad while attending a Canadian university?

Yes, Canadian universities offer study, internship, and fellowship opportunities all over the world. For example, McGill students can apply to work for a summer with the United Nations World Food Programme in Panama, or enroll in a field study semester in Africa or the Caribbean at McGill’s Bellair Research Institute. U of T students can spend a semester working in a paid internship with the World Bank in Washington, DC, with the World Trade Organization in Switzerland, or conduct an international research project in human biology in China with the University of Toronto Science Abroad program.

Can I attend graduate school in the US with a bachelor’s degree from Canada?

Yes, you can pursue further studies anywhere in the world in the same way you could if you earned a degree in the US. A Canadian degree, diploma, or certificate is globally recognized as equivalent to those obtained in the United States or Commonwealth countries.

Can I work in the US if I earn a degree from Canada?

Yes, but just as anywhere, your professional network is more likely to be in the city in which you study. Applying to jobs in the US from Canada is possible, but you will need to secure an offer of employment and visa sponsorship before relocating to the US.

Alexandra Newlon is an Educational Consultant at Hale Education Group, former Fulbright fellow, and a graduate of McGill University and Washington University in St.Louis.

Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *